- Paul, a prisoner of Christ Jesus, and Timothy our brother, To Philemon our dear friend and fellow worker,
- to Apphia our sister, to Archippus our fellow soldier and to the church that meets in your home:
- Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Thanksgiving and Prayer
- I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers,
- because I hear about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints.
- I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ.
- Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the saints.
Paul's Plea for Onesimus
- Therefore, although in Christ I could be bold and order you to do what you ought to do,
- yet I appeal to you on the basis of love. I then, as Paulan old man and now also a prisoner of Christ Jesus
- I appeal to you for my son Onesimus,  who became my son while I was in chains.
- Formerly he was useless to you, but now he has become useful both to you and to me.
- I am sending himwho is my very heartback to you.
- I would have liked to keep him with me so that he could take your place in helping me while I am in chains for the gospel.
- But I did not want to do anything without your consent, so that any favor you do will be spontaneous and not forced.
- Perhaps the reason he was separated from you for a little while was that you might have him back for good
- no longer as a slave, but better than a slave, as a dear brother. He is very dear to me but even dearer to you, both as a man and as a brother in the Lord.
- So if you consider me a partner, welcome him as you would welcome me.
- If he has done you any wrong or owes you anything, charge it to me.
- I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand. I will pay it backnot to mention that you owe me your very self.
- I do wish, brother, that I may have some benefit from you in the Lord; refresh my heart in Christ.
- Confident of your obedience, I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I ask.
- And one thing more: Prepare a guest room for me, because I hope to be restored to you in answer to your prayers.
- Epaphras, my fellow prisoner in Christ Jesus, sends you greetings.
- And so do Mark, Aristarchus, Demas and Luke, my fellow workers.
- The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.
- 10 Onesimus means useful.
Proceed to Hebrews
Return to The Bible