1. When the hypocrites come to you (O Muhammad), they say: "We bear witness that you are indeed the Messenger of Allâh." Allâh knows that you are indeed His Messenger and Allâh bears witness that the hypocrites are liars indeed.
2. They have made their oaths a screen (for their hypocrisy). Thus they hinder (men) from the Path of Allâh. Verily, evil is what they used to do.
3. That is because they believed, then disbelieved, therefore their hearts are sealed, so they understand not.
4. And when you look at them, their bodies please you; and when they speak, you listen to their words. They are as blocks of wood propped up. They think that every cry is against them. They are the enemies, so beware of them. May Allâh curse them! How are they denying (or deviating from) the Right Path.
5. And when it is said to them: "Come, so that the Messenger of Allâh may ask forgiveness from Allâh for you", they turn aside their heads, and you would see them turning away their faces in pride.
6. It is equal to them whether you (Muhammad) ask forgiveness or ask not forgiveness for them. Verily, Allâh guides not the people who are the Fâsiqîn (rebellious, disobedient to Allâh).
7. They are the ones who say: "Spend not on those who are with Allâh's Messenger, until they desert him." And to Allâh belong the treasures of the heavens and the earth, but the hypocrites comprehend not.
8. They (hyprocrites) say: "If we return to Al-Madinah, indeed the more honourable ('Abdûllah bin Ubai bin Salul, the chief of hyprocrites at AlMadinah) will expel therefrom the meaner (i.e., Allâh's Messenger)." But honour, power and glory belong to Allâh, His Messenger (Muhammad), and to the believers, but the hypocrites know not.
9. O you who believe! Let not your properties or your children divert you from the remembrance of Allâh. And whosoever does that, then they are the losers.
10. And spend (in charity) of that with which We have provided you, before death comes to one of you and he says: "My Lord! If only You would give me respite for a little while (i.e., return to the worldly life), then I should give Sadaqah (i.e., Zakât) of my wealth, and be among the righteous [i.e., perform Hajj (pilgrimage to Makkah)].
11. And Allâh grants respite to none when his appointed time (death) comes. And Allâh is All-Aware of what you do.