1. O you who believe! Take not My enemies and your enemies (i.e., disbelievers and polytheists, etc.) as friends, showing affection towards them, while they have disbelieved in what has come to you of the truth (i.e., Isl‚mic Monotheism, this Qur'‚n, and Muhammad), and have driven out the Messenger (Muhammad) and yourselves (from your homeland) because you believe in All‚h your Lord! If you have come forth to strive in My Cause and to seek My Good Pleasure, (then take not these disbelievers and polytheists, etc., as your friends). You show friendship to them in secret, while I am All-Aware of what you conceal and what you reveal. And whosoever of you (Muslims) does that, then indeed he has gone (far) astray, (away) from the Straight Path.
2. Should they gain the upper hand over you, they would behave to you as enemies, and stretch forth their hands and their tongues against you with evil, and they desire that you should disbelieve.
3. Neither your relatives nor your children will benefit you on the Day of Resurrection (against All‚h). He will judge between you. And All‚h is the All-Seer of what you do.
4. Indeed there has been an excellent example for you in Ibr‚him (Abraham) and those with him, when they said to their people: "Verily, we are free from you and whatever you worship besides All‚h, we have rejected you, and there has started between us and you, hostility and hatred for ever, until you believe in All‚h Alone," except the saying of Ibr‚him (Abraham) to his father: "Verily, I will ask for forgiveness (from All‚h) for you, but I have no power to do anything for you before All‚h." Our Lord! In You (Alone) we put our trust, and to You (Alone) we turn in repentance, and to You (Alone) is (our) final Return,
5. "Our Lord! Make us not a trial for the disbelievers, and forgive us, Our Lord! Verily, You, only You are the All-Mighty, the All-Wise."
6. Certainly, there has been in them an excellent example for you to follow, for those who look forward to (the Meeting with) All‚h (for the reward from Him) and the Last Day. And whosoever turn away, then verily, All‚h is Rich (Free of all wants), Worthy of all Praise.
7. Perhaps All‚h will make friendship between you and those whom you hold as enemies. And All‚h has power (over all things), and All‚h is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
8. All‚h does not forbid you to deal justly and kindly with those who fought not against you on account of religion and did not drive you out of your homes. Verily, All‚h loves those who deal with equity.
9. It is only as regards those who fought against you on account of religion, and have driven you out of your homes, and helped to drive you out, that All‚h forbids you to befriend them. And whosoever will befriend them, then such are the Z‚limŻn (wrong-doers those who disobey All‚h).
10. O you who believe! When believing women come to you as emigrants, examine them, All‚h knows best as to their Faith, then if you ascertain that they are true believers, send them not back to the disbelievers, they are not lawful (wives) for the disbelievers nor are the disbelievers lawful (husbands) for them. But give the disbelievers that (amount of money) which they have spent [as their Mahr] to them. And there will be no sin on you to marry them if you have paid their Mahr to them. Likewise hold not the disbelieving women as wives, and ask for (the return of) that which you have spent (as Mahr) and let them (the disbelievers, etc.) ask back for that which they have spent. That is the Judgement of All‚h. He judges between you. And All‚h is All-Knowing, All-Wise.
11. And if any of your wives have gone from you to the disbelievers, and you have an accession (by the coming over of a woman from the other side), then pay to those whose wives have gone, the equivalent of what they had spent (on their Mahr). And fear All‚h in Whom you believe.
12. O Prophet! When believing women come to you to give you the Bai'‚ (pledge), that they will not associate anything in worship with All‚h, that they will not steal, that they will not commit illegal sexual intercourse, that they will not kill their children, that they will not utter slander, intentionally forging falsehood (i.e., by making illegal children belonging to their husbands), and that they will not disobey you in any Ma'rŻf (Isl‚mic Monotheism and all that which Isl‚m ordains) then accept their Bai'‚ (pledge), and ask All‚h to forgive them, Verily, All‚h is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
13. O you who believe! Take not as friends the people who incurred the Wrath of All‚h (i.e., the Jews). Surely, they have been in despair to receive any good in the Hereafter, just as the disbelievers have been in despair about those (buried) in graves (that they will not be resurrected on the Day of Resurrection).